The Tolaga Bay wharf was built in the Te Aitanga a Hauiti area to assist the export of local produce grown by both Māori and Pākehā farmers. Goods included maize, livestock and wool - over 30,000 of these bales went to Russia. The wharf is 660 metres in length and New Zealand's longest.
Construction of the Tolaga Bay Wharf began in 1926 and was finished in 1929. Shipping ceased from the wharf in 1967.
The wharf makes a fantastic fishing spot partly due to its scenery.
Image from Wikipedia: New Zealand's longest wharf, at Tolaga Bay (photography by James Dignan).