The building was built in 1894 as a public library for 236 pounds. It has been refurbished and furnished as a colonial cottage of the early 1900's. There is a lounge, dining room, 2 bedrooms, kitchen and scullery and a storeroom. Out the back a strongroom has been built to display the more valuable items and a number of early photographs of Martinborough and its citizens.
The museum also has furnishings, clothing, and household implements of 1860-1940's as well as many early photos and maps of the district.
The town's original jail has been moved on to the site and has inside displays of early technology.