Central Hawke’s Bay is renowned for its rolling and picturesque gardens, and there is no better time to discover them than in spring.
Spend two days delighting in some of the region’s most beautiful gardens – from rambling rose gardens, bountiful edible gardens, organic vegetable gardens and lush native gardens, to gardens that feed you and heal you, and nurture your soul.
The Foodscapes Garden Trail will showcase 14 gardens, seven of which will be holding workshops throughout the day that you can register for. Workshops are included within your ticket price, however places are limited so best to register ahead of time to secure your spot.
This self-drive garden trail is one for all the family, allowing you to discover the essence of springtime in Central Hawke’s Bay.
Highlights on the trail include a self sufficient jam-packed quarter acre back yard garden in Waipawa; the Matawera Marae’s garden to kai garden, Tukituki River Valley Lavender Gardens that include container gardening and bee balm workshops; Wild Spaces gardens in Otane and their making and using Bio-Char throughout the weekend; Bee Haven Garden’s soil quality workshops; and the historic Coach House Garden Rooms with their herb spring cuttings workshop in Onga Onga village.
For full details on each garden and workshop visit thespringfling.nz/suggested-itineraries
Full list of properties include:
1. Rambling Edibles, Poukawa - Open Garden
2. Millstream Gardens, Pukehou – Open Garden
3. Wild Spaces, Otane – Open Garden and Talk
4. Tukituki River Valley Lavender Gardens, Waipawa – Open Garden and Workshops
5. Walking the Talk, Waipawa – Open Garden
6. CANCELLED - Permaculture Bliss, Waipawa – Open Garden and Workshop
7. Self-Sufficiency on a quarter Acre - Open Garden
8. King’s Ridge Gardens, Waipawa – Open Garden and Workshop
9. SUNDAY ONLY - From Maara Kai to plate, Mataweka Marae – Open Garden and Workshop
10. Riverside Perennials, Waipukarau – Open Garden and Workshop
11. St Hilda's, Otane - Open Garden
12. Bee Haven Nursery, Ongaonga – Open Garden and Workshops
13. Old World Charm, Otane – Open Garden
14. Coach House Garden Rooms, Ongaonga – workshop only
For full details of gardens and workshops visit www.thespringfling.co.nz
The Central Hawke’s Bay Garden Trail is a part of Spring Fling, a series of standout events through September and October, capturing the essence of springtime in Central Hawke’s Bay! Spring is a stunning time of year in Central Hawke’s Bay and the Spring Fling is a wonderful showcase of the region.