Be confident this calving season with all you need to know about raising healthy calves. This Expo will leave attendees with not only knowledge but tools and resources that they can action. Starting with you and how to be physically prepared for calf rearing through to knowing what the calves need.
Who should come to this event: All farmers that have an invested interest in raising healthy calves.
Topics that will be covered at the expo include:
Physical daily exercises to strengthen your core
- Ensure that you go into the season strong and know how-to pick-up calves without injuring yourself. How to help sustain energy levels throughout the season incorporating health, safety and wellbeing tools and tips.
Family Meal Preparation
- Meal prep recipes and demonstration.
- Ensuring you have roster for the team clear and what can the whole team do to ensure there is clear communication through a very busy time.
Animal Tagging and Traceability
- The importance of full-time traceability. The importance for disease and NZ market.
Calf Housing and Pen Design
- Demonstrate a setup of a calf shed. Including the importance of ventilation and bedding.
Getting to Grips with Colostrum
- How colostrum helps to minimize the risk of neonatal disease
- Why colostrum management is important (changes in quality over time, effect of microbial contamination; assessing quality; options for improving quality)
Feeding calves for lifetime productivity: How improving neonatal calf nutrition can improve profitability
- The impact of early life nutrition on lifetime productivity,
- Understanding your options: milk or milk replacer; skim milk powder or whey?
Feeding and Meal
- Calf energy and protein requirements, and how to transition from milk to meal and meal to grass.
Achieving liveweight gains for heifers
- Calculation of food to achieve liveweight targets, key target times and measuring options
Brought to you by SealesWinslow and AgriVantage with support from: Fonterra, PaySauce and OSPRI/NAIT, LIC and BioBrew.
Proud supporters of Dairy Tomorrow. This Expo helps to:
- be world leading in on-farm animal care
- build great workplaces for New Zealand’s most talented workforce