With the dust of 2020 not quite yet settled, many are still feeling and facing the full overt and covert affects of racial trauma, social upheaval and unrest. With Covid-19 bringing most of the world online in a bid to stay connected, aligned with the relentless graphic media exposure, politics and popularisation of the Black Lives Matter movement... many Black, Indigenous, People of Colour are left in need for additional support, a sense of community and reconnection to self, now more than ever.
This workshop will continue to provide a safe space for individuals to explore their relationships with racial trauma, its effects or even the perpetuation of this in themselves, participate in therapeutic exercises taken from Art Psychotherapy to provide self-care, resilience and healing.
PARTICIPATED IN PREVIOUS WORKSHOPS? Welcome back! Each workshop has new or different variations of therapy skills and exercises, along with new prompts and points of interest to discuss in the ongoing conversation about racial and cultural diversity issues.
- Explore issues around racial and cultural trauma
- Learn about Art Therapy and the importance of creativity in trauma healing
- Participate in Art Therapy-based activities that you can continue to use for yourself
- Learn some new coping and resilience skills pulled from ACT, mindfulness and creative therapies
- Be a part on this online community with others
You will need:
- Paper of your choosing
- Pencils and/or pens of your choosing
- Watercolours or acrylic paints (optional)
- Crayons or pastels (optional)
This workshop is best suitable for:
Those affected by racial and cultural issues. Those affected by the responses to the increased attention of the Black Lives Matter movement. Those who have curiosities, shame and other issues about their 'difference'. Those who find it hard to explore these issues with others without judgment, dismissal or conflict. Those who want to celebrate their non-Eurocentricity. Anyone experiencing 'activist burnout'.
* Experience in art making is not necessary for this workshop. This is for therapeutic purposes only. You will not be required to share any work made if you would prefer not to.
* This live workshop will be hosted and recorded using Zoom.
* You will be emailed a Zoom link a day before the workshop AND once again shortly before start time - Please check your Junk/Spam mail!
* The recording of the workshop will be sent out to all participants a few hours after the live workshop. This will be available to view for 1 week. After this, the link will no longer be valid.
* This event will be held at 8.30am NZT. Please check before booking that this event is listed in your time zone.
Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic this workshop will be donation-based, with understanding that mental health is often only accessible to those whom can afford it. Please feel comfortable with paying what you can.