Stuff Events

Powered by:

Feilding Yellows Clubrooms

Address:

Drake Street, Feilding and District

Phone:

+64 274 718 827

Some important dates in “The Yellows” history from the website.

1878
Feilding F.C. formed and played first ever match on 13 July v. a “Rangitikei combined clubs” XV in Feilding. This is widely regarded as the first ever rugby match being played in the Manawatu.

1882
Feilding briefly combined with Marton and played as “Manchester” until 1885. (The “Manchester” name however was used until 1887.)

1886
As Manchester, Feilding win their first ever Manawatu senior championship. Since then, Feilding has achieved this honour on 18 occasions.

Manawatu County Union formed (with Feilding as a founding member).

1887
Famous rugby song “On the Ball” written in admiration of the Feilding captain Andrew Thomson, by Edward Secker, captain of Palmerston North club.

1888
Manawatu County Union renamed Manawatu R.U.

1889
Club altered its playing strip to Black with a silver fern “shield” on the breast.

1893
NZRFU adopts Feilding’s strip for national side use. The current day amber and black hoops become new club colours as a result.

1896
Feilding threatened to join the Rangitikei Union in protest to a MRU judiciary ruling! Sanity prevailed and Feilding went on to win the Manawatu senior championships and become the inaugural recipients of the J.H. Hankins Shield, the oldest trophy still in use in N.Z. senior club rugby.

1900
Local clubs Feilding and Unionists combine to form Feilding Unionist Club.

1901
Club joins and plays in Rangitikei sub-union.

1903
The former Feilding F.C. is resuscitated incorporating Red Star and old Unionists club. Playing strip is black and gold.

1905
Club rejoins the Manawatu R.U. competition.

1909
Colours revert back to black and yellow, but with blue dungarees.

1911
Athletic rugby club formed in town and decimates Feilding F.C.’s ranks.

1912
Town clubs combine again as Feilding F.C.

1916-1919
All clubs in recess because of The Great War.

1920
Club fully revived. Feilding Technical School Club also had a senior team.

1921
“Technical Old Boys” rejoin Feilding F.C.

1925
Old boys of F.A.H.S. form Old Boys F.C. and decimate Feilding ranks.

1928
Rugby moves from the racecourse grounds to a new facility called Johnston Park, formerly a camping ground.

1934
Construction of the Collins Gym commenced.

1935
Feilding (playing as “Kowhai”) won the MRU mid-week competition. (Wednesday was a “half-holiday” in the district then!)

1936
Collins Gym opened on 13th May.

1938
Former Feilding player Joe Ongley becomes President of the N.Z.R.F.U.

1941
Feilding F.C. and Old Boys F.C. combined their seniors and played as “Feilding and Old Boys F.C.” due to many players being away on active service.

1942-1945
The club was forced into recess during the war years and the only rugby played was armed forces inter-camp matches.

1948
The club “re-formed” as Feilding R.F.C. incorporating the Old Boys F.C.

1951
Two players selected for North Island colts: R.Hurn, R.C. Henderson

1952
The touring Wallabies team were guests at the club’s Annual Ball.

1953
“Stewie” Freebairn becomes the club’s first All Black.

1954
The club wins the Abraham Cup for Manawatu club supremacy.

1955
Feilding Old Boys RFC is formed as a totally new and separate club.

1958
Club celebrates its 80th birthday with the opening of its own clubrooms attached to the Collins Gym.

1960
Abraham Cup.

1961
Club monogram initiated.

1962
Abraham Cup.
New clubrooms opened 11th August on current site.

1965
New clubrooms become freehold.

1967
Brian, Donald and Rex Kitchen all gain Manawatu rep honours!

1972
Feilding’s Jack Gleeson is named All Black coach and leads the team on an unbeaten internal tour and test series against Australia. Gleeson would also coach the All Blacks from 1976-1978 including a “Grand Slam” tour of the U.K. in 1978.

1974
Kevin “Hayburner” Eveleigh becomes the club’s 2nd All Black!

1975
The “spec” house in Fairview Avenue built by club labour is sold and this enables the commencement of the clubroom extensions.

1976
Manawatu defeats Auckland at Eden Park to claim the Ranfurly Shield for the first time in the provinces history (as “Manawatu”). Feilding hooker Denis Clare played in the match.

1977
Clubrooms extensions opened.

1978
Centenary Year and major celebrations.

1982
An eight team National Seven’s tournament was held at Johnston Park and Feilding were well represented: D.Clare, T.Clare, P.Scott (Manawatu A) and T.Knox, K.Williams, G.O’Fee, M.Ayres, P.Hausman, C.Childs, D.Miller (Manawatu B). A post tournament N.Z. Sevens team was announced with Denny Clare gaining honours!

1984
Clubs first official overseas tour with a party of 30 “mostly” senior players plus officials and supporters travelling to Melbourne for a week, hosted by the Box Hill club. A total of 5 games were played by our two XV’s, with A.Wilkinson and M.Ayres being the top points scorers.

Abraham Cup, with 4 teams winning their comps! (A’s, 3rds, 4ths, U19’s)

1986
Club fielded a record 8 teams in Manawatu club competitions.

1984-1989
The Senior Fourths were recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records for 114 consecutive competition games without a loss!

1990
Johnston Park grandstand condemned.

2002
Internal renovations of clubrooms completed.

2003
125 years of the Yellows club celebrated.

2000-2008
Senior Fourths made 9 consecutive finals! (Champs ’01/’04/’05)

2012
Aaron Smith named in the All Blacks, Nick Crosswell named in the Maori All Blacks

2013
Aaron Smith became a regular All Black and was the first choice halfback. Nick Crosswell named in the Maori All Blacks. Colts won the Manawatu 7s Colts title.

2018
140 years of the Yellows club celebrated.

2019
Feilding Yellows Senior A's win the Hankins Shield against Varsity.

Related Popular Events 

Special offers

How to get your Event listed

To have your Event appear on Stuff Events, go to www.eventfinda.co.nz who supply the event listings for this site.

Click here to add your Event now!
Powered by: