Pompallier is the earliest surviving example of a rammed earth building (pise de terre) and oldest building associated with the history of the Roman Catholic Church in New Zealand. It was built in 1841-42 under the direction of architect Louis Perret, as a printer, tannery and storehouse for the mission as Kororareka.
The building and garden have recently undergone award-winning conservation. Pompallier operates as a working museum with interpreters demonstrating tanning, leather-work, printing and binding crafts.
The French Coffee House is open daily from 9am - 3.30pm.
There are daily guided tours at 10.30am, 11.30am, 1.30pm, 2.30pm & 3.30pm. See our website for more information.