On 30th May 1908, the Mayor of the Mornington Borough, Mr H A LeCren, chaired a meeting in the local Council Chambers to discuss the proposal to form a Mornington Bowling Club. In his opening remarks he pointed out that other Boroughs in Dunedin had Bowling Clubs and it was time for Mornington to follow suit. It was agreed that the best way of raising funds was to form a Company with a capital of £500 with shares of £1 each.
On 7th December 1908, the Company was registered under the Companies Act 1903. There were 100 shareholders, a cross-section of society: lawyers, ministers, teachers, accountants, retailers, tradesmen and one who gave his occupation as "gentleman" The objects of the Company were to promote the game of bowls, to purchase or lease land suitable for a bowling green, to form, maintain, equip and erect buildings on such a green and to hold and arrange bowling matches or competitions.
The registered office of the Company was situated at the residence of Mr William Davidson, 26 Elgin Road, Mornington, until it was transferred to the pavilion in Bowler Avenue in 1911.