Unfortunately due to extensive earthquake damage this venue is closed.
The Cathedral is a living house of prayer for the city and the Anglican Diocese seeking excellence in Christian worship; a place of welcome ministering to people of all faiths and none; a nationally and internationally acknowledged symbol of Christchurch, engaging with the issues of the world.
The cornerstone was laid on 16 December 1864, but financial problems in the fledgling city saw its completion delayed between 1865 and 1873. The nave and tower were consecrated by 1881, though the entire building was not finished until 1904.
The cathedral spire reaches to 63 metres above Cathedral Square. Public access to the spire provides for a good viewpoint over the centre of the city.