The two-storey wooden blockhouse at Wallaceville was occupied during the first Taranaki War (1860-61) when there were fears fighting might break out in the Wellington region. It never did.
It was used as a police station from 1867 to 1880, and declared an historic reserve in 1916. Today, the Blockhouse serves as the headquarters for a service club.
Access to to the interior of the Blockhouse is available for groups or individuals, by guided tour (by arrangement). Please contact Heritage New Zealand on (04) 494 8048 to arrange a time to suit.