The Timaru Town and Country Club was originally formed on the 3rd July 1957. In the beginning the Club held it's monthly meetings within the Caroline Bay Tearooms, membership grew rapidly and the Club was forced to move to the Caroline Bay Hall, until a lease of a Stafford street property was obtained in 1959.
During November 1960 the Timaru District Council offered the Club an area of Land in Douglas Street for £2,750. That same land was then purchased by the Club during September 1961, £10.00 debentures were sought, raising £33,000 eventually over subscribed, a new club charter was sought and a building constructed.
The newly completed Men's Only Club, opened on the 25th August 1962. Due to popularity and the liquor licensing regulations of the day, membership had to be closed at 1050 members. Women were warmly accepted as Members in 1978 and Junior Members, any age person up to legal drinking age, in 1993.
Today the Club has 1500 financial members, some of our many assets include 22 highly trained staff, three bars, separate air conditioned gaming room with 18 gaming machines, 2 registered kitchens, 2 petanque rinks, an outdoor bowling green, pool, snooker and darts areas and much, much more.