The Tannery is excited to be part of The Christchurch City Council's Tīrama Mai celebrations in 2022.
Tīrama Mai is bringing the light to Ōtautahi-Christchurch this winter with a series of innovative lighting installations, projections and illuminated artworks created by some of Canterbury's best lighting artists and creative minds.
To celebrate Tīrama Mai this Matariki, our retailers have come together to create a special celebration on this important date. On Saturday 25th June we will be hosting a Matariki Food Market from 4-8pm.
Our atrium retailers will open late and from 4pm a collection of popular Christchurch food trucks will take up residence outside the atrium, serving:
- Mouth watering slow-cooked meat, perfectly paired with tasty sauces from Smoke n Barrel.
- Asian-inspired Kiwi classics from The Vagabonds Chefs and orient-encrusted, crisped and spiced or slow, smooth, and distinctly Southern. The Vagabond Chefs are all about big-world flavours.
- Homemade popcorn from Kettle Korn, stirred by hand with attitude while infusing deserving ingredients & an unmeasured scoop of love! Choose from up to eight allergen-free, vegan-friendly decadent offerings including refined sugar-free options.
- Fresh Burritos, Tacos, Nachos and Quesadillas with handmade flour Tortillas from locally sources fresh ingredients.
- The best burgers in town, from The Burger Joint.
- Freshly baked waffles from Black Forrest Waffle Hut
The atrium will transform into a communal banqueting hall where you can gather with food and beverages to celebrate the Maori New Year with your community, under the majestic fairy lights of the atrium.
The event will commence with a Karakia at 4pm (Morgan Kahika) followed by a performance from Te Pa O Rakaihautu.
To mark Tīrama Mai we will be lighting up the atrium with a moving star gobo display. Live music will carry you through the evening and a bar in the atrium will be serving beer and wine.
We invite you all to enjoy a smorgasbord of foods and flavours, entertainment from local community groups and the warm welcome of The Tannery whānau as we connect with locals and visitors at this special time.