Think you’ve got what it takes to be the next Taika Waititi or Jane Campion? This fun, engaging programme will unlock the secrets to great directing and screenwriting.
You’ll learn about constructing scenes and shots, screen geography, storyboarding scenes, editing, chase scenes, shooting indoors and outdoors.
Students will take turns directing and being directed from sample scripts to gain a full understanding of the role.
You’ll also learn about formulating a script that will work on screen. A good screenplay makes a great film. The adrenaline of a thrilling action scene, the emotion of a romantic tearjerker, and the tension of a mysterious whodunit all begin on the screenwriter’s page.
Filmmaker Stephen J. Campbell will teach you how to: come up with great ideas; structure a story; develop multi-dimensional characters; and write and format scripts for film and TV. You’ll also discover the logistics of filmmaking and how scenes and sequences work.
“Informative, interesting, enjoyable.”
“Informative, engaging, fun.”
“It pulled back the curtain about how movies are written.”
Please bring a pen and notebook. Students may also wish to bring their own laptops.
Teaching artist Stephen J. Campbell has thirty years’ experience in the television industry and has worked as a writer, director and producer on a wide variety of genres, including award-winning comedy and drama. Stephen co-created and associate produced the award-winning ICE TV and created the childrenʼs drama series, Secret Agent Men (TV3). Stephen also oversaw the production of three seasons of critically-acclaimed and award-winning series The Amazing Extraordinary Friends (TV2). Stephen’s latest drama is the sci-fi thriller The Cul de Sac (TV2).
Level 2 Restrictions
- Places in courses will be reduced to allow for social distancing of 2m for activities. This course has a maximum of 8 participants.
- Activities for courses will be planned with social distancing in mind.
- There will be no end of course performances for any holiday programmes under Level 2.
- Prior to the start of the course, you will receive an email detailing TAPAC’s Level 2 guidelines for students and visitors.
- If the programme needs to be cancelled due to Covid-19 restrictions or low enrolments, you will receive a refund.