The Big Sing (TBS), the New Zealand Choral Federation’s festival for secondary school choirs, has been held annually for over 30 years. With some 10,000 singers from around 150 schools and 260 choirs entering the regional festivals each year, it is New Zealand’s largest choral event.
The main aims of The Big Sing are to:
- Encourage enjoyment in singing and foster excellence in performance
- Enable school choirs to participate in and be exposed to high-quality choral music in a supportive and professional setting
- Provide opportunities for students to lead choirs and develop conducting skills
- Provide professional development for choir directors via adjudication and feedback, as well as mentoring and networking with other choral leaders
- Provide opportunities for New Zealand composers to have their works performed in public to a high standard
- Encourage budding composers through the NZCF/SOUNZ competition
- Increase understanding and appreciation of Māori music and work with tangata whenua.