'Wednesday Evening & Friday Morning Class available:
In Restorative Yoga, the aim is to support the body and get as comfortable as possible, being free from any tension or discomfort and allowing everything to be able to soften and release. A variety of different props are often used to facilitate this comfort. When we are comfortable, it allows everything to open, lengthen and relax, quieting and relaxing the nervous system as well as the physical body.
These classes will be relaxing and slow-paced, practising about five or six postures, which are held for longer periods of time. Props are used in order to allow the body to be in the most comfortable, supported position possible. This may include bolsters, blankets, blocks and belts. Gentle music will be played, and the practice is combined with guided relaxation and meditation.
The class will conclude with a guided deep relaxation - Yoga Nidra.
Benefits of Restorative Yoga:
- Stress Management - counteracts the negative effects of stress and elicits the " Relaxation Response" - slower heart rate, metabolism, rate of breathing, lower blood pressure. Can reduce/ prevent stress-related diseases
- Helps in the management of anxiety and overstimulation of the nervous system - can help with insomnia
- Brings calm and equilibrium to body and mind - calms and deepens breathing which in turn relaxes the nervous system and the mind.
- Energises and rejuvenates
- Moves spine in all directions - enhancing wellbeing
- Gently stretching, opening and releasing - relieves muscle tension and tightness
- Promotes better circulation of blood, lymph nodes - balancing hormonal system
- Promotes health of internal organs - stimulates and soothes
- Supports healthy immune function
- Supports weight loss
- Balances energy within the body'