Entry to this free concert is by ticket only - register for your tickets at Moshtix by clicking "Buy Tickets" above.
In conjunction with the Wallace Foundation, the Auckland Youth Orchestra, conducted by Antun Poljanich, presents:
- Prokofiev - Romeo & Juliet Suites 1 & 2 (selected movements)
- Bernstein - West Side Story Symphonic Dances
- Verdi/Bassi - Concert Fantasia for Clarinet on Motives from Verdi's Opera: "Rigoletto"
Romeo & Juliet, one of the world’s most famous love stories, is brought to life in music:
- Prokofiev’s Romeo & Juliet ballet suites were written just before the outbreak of World War 2 – most listeners will recognise the dramatic opening music depicting the warring Montague & Capulet families;
- Bernstein wrote West Side Story, his modern take on the Romeo & Juliet story, 20 years later. It contains such well-known music as the songs “Somewhere”, “Maria”, and “America”. The warring families of the Romeo & Juliet story are replaced with gangs - the Jets and the Sharks. Modern dance replaces ballet. The story is a post-war urban drama and the musical score is rhythmic and dramatic. Listen out for the musicians’ voices in “Mambo”!
150 years ago Luigi Bassi, the principal clarinettist of Milan’s famed La Scala opera house, composed this bravura work for clarinet and orchestra, based on themes from Verdi’s opera “Rigoletto”. It’s a dazzling showpiece, designed to thrill audiences as it shows off the range and agility of the clarinet.
Donations will be gratefully received at the conclusion of the concert.