After a challenging and musically restricted few years, BOP Symphonia is delighted to be able again to perform to a capacity audience. 'Out of the Shadows' features a variety of international composers, eras and musical styles spanning over 300 years, with internationally renowned cello soloist, Lev Sivkov.
- Haydn’s Overture 'L’isla disabitata' (The Desert island) - is a tempestuous and dramatic piece quite unlike Haydn’s usual elegant style.
- 'Remembering Parihaka' is a short work by contemporary New Zealand composer, Anthony Ritchie, inspired by the 1881 invasion of the pacifist settlement at Parihaka Pa in Taranaki.
- Kabalevsky’s Cello Concerto no 1 is the centrepiece of the concert. Joining us for this lovely piece is visiting cello soloist, Lev Sivkov. Based in Switzerland, Lev is active on the international stage as a concerto soloist, recitalist and chamber musician and is a laureate of numerous competitions.
- 'Ocho por Radio' is a quirky, cheeky piece for a small orchestra by twentieth-century Mexican composer, Silvestre Revueltas.
- Finally, Saint-Saëns Symphony No.2 is a large-scale composition taking us from slow, dark themes, to a lighthearted, tumultuous and satisfying conclusion to the concert.
Refreshments will be available for purchase during the interval. Door sales available.