Selwyn Community Education is based at Selwyn College, Kohimarama, Auckland.
This course will run over four Monday evenings 6:30 - 8:30 pm starting 3 May 2021.
Tutor: Ashlee Lala.
Join us for an overview of New Zealand Art History, beginning with the topographical works of artists such as Charles Heaphy and ending with an examination of contemporary art practice in New Zealand. We will consider artists and artworks across a range of media including painting, photography, drawing, print, sculpture and new media.
The key artists that we will look at include Charles Heaphy, Petrus van der Velden, John Gully, James Nairn, Frances Hodgkins, Christopher Perkins, Rita Angus, Colin McCahon, Doris Lusk, Ralph Hotere, Philip Clairmont, Dick Frizzell, Shane Cotton and Bill Hammond.
Expected learning outcomes:
- An appreciation for the uniqueness of New Zealand art
- The ability to understand key artworks in the context of New Zealand's history
- The ability to recognise the styles and significance of key New Zealand artists
- An awareness of contemporary New Zealand art practice
- The confidence to critically evaluate, discuss and debate current issues surrounding New Zealand art
Our mission is to provide quality affordable and accessible lifelong learning opportunities for our community.