Repair Cafés' reduce pressure on the planet by supporting a repair, reuse, re-purpose life cycle. Upper Hutt Repair Café aims to recreate a culture of repair- not replace- as an experienced local share their skills and helps you to repair your items. Keep your fixable items out of the landfill and give them a new lease on life.
Free event, but koha appreciated.
Fundraising refreshments available for purchase- feel free to come down for a chat and see what we are all about!
Over 20 Volunteer Repair Experts available to help you with...
- Wooden and Mechanical Items
- Clothing in need of mending
- Bikes and scooters
- Simple Crotchet
- Household electrical goods (eg. lamps, toaster)
See a 3D Printer in action.
Plus donate your broken goods to Earthlink for Recycling.
So how does our Repair Cafe work?
1) First you bring in your item(s) in need of repair. If you know what parts are needed to repair it- eg. button, new handle, spare part- please bring these with you.
2) Then you register at our front desk and get given a form to record your repairs. We ask you return this for our records before you leave- this helps us track our success and see where our skill gaps are to prepare better for future events.
3) You are then escorted to the appropriate volunteer for your repair. If there is a queue, we will come get you when our volunteer is ready. Due to popularity, we will repair one item at time and then you can rejoin the queue if you have another item.
4) We ask you stay with the volunteer during the repair process. This is an opportunity to learn, ask questions, give it a try yourself (if safe to do so) and most importantly so our volunteers can ensure your item is treated/repaired the way you would like.
5) Hopefully together we can repair your item on the day. If not, our team can advise where to get parts, who provides a suitable repair service for the job and if your item is unfixable, how it should be disposed of without sending to landfill.
We look forward to seeing you there.