Matariki, Lighting the Beacons is a month-long multi-disciplinary arts festival across the Kāpiti Region July 2 – 25, 2021.
Bookended by two public light sculpture events at the beginning and end of July, Lighting the Beacons includes music, arts and theatre as well as multiple community events for Kāpiti whānau to enjoy.
Events will be held in multiple venues across the month of July including;
- Opening Weekend featuring Light sculptures, live music, food trucks and more - July 2-3 - Maclean Park, Paraparaumu
- Beach clean-ups and tree plantings
- Live Music - The Māori Sidesteps, Tama Waipara & Maisey Rika
- Theatre - Witi's Wāhine
- NATIVE Minds - interactive kōrero
- E Tū Whānau Rangatahi Film Workshop
- Best of Māoriland Film Festival screenings
- Art exhibitions
and more! Visit the official website for more information.
Matariki is the Māori tradition that marks the rising of the star cluster also known as the Pleiades. Matariki signals the beginning of the Māori new year and is a time for commemorating the passing of loved ways as well as making plans for the coming year. It is also a time for celebration!
Join us for Lighting the Beacons in Kāpiti this Matariki!