The Central Otago Town of Alexandra was founded after gold was discovered between Clyde and Cromwell in 1862. That discovery led to thousands of miners travelling to the district along the Old Dunstan Road from the Strath Taieri; the same route - Clarks Junction to Alexandra - can still be followed today by 4WD.
The old Courthouse in Alexandra's Centennial Avenue is one of the town's oldest stone buildings and had an important role in the life and administration of the Central Otago goldfields. Opened on 16th June 1879, it housed both the Warden's and Magistrate's Courts.
Although the Alexandra Courthouse is now over 125 years old it is still being used daily, leased out as a cafe and restaurant, though fully protected as an historic place. The Alexandra Courthouse is now a Category 2 Historic Building and a DOC reserve.
Photograph by Colin Perfect and supplied by the Department of Conservation (DOC).