In 1952, the former Hawke's Bay County Council set aside just over 10 hectares and established a domain board to administer the use and development of the reserve. When Bay View was incorporated into Napier City in 1989, the board decided to hand over the reserve's care and control to the Napier City Council.
A war memorial, in the form of gates, is located in the northeastern corner of the domain.
The reserve is home to the Bay View Bowling Club, Eskview United Soccer Club, Eskview Rugby Club and Eskview Tennis Club. Cricket and 7 a side football are also played in the summer.