This was the original Molesworth homestead built as a one-roomed hut by the third runholder John (Cornelius) Murphy in 1866 and later extended by his successor William Atkinson. Murphy was the first runholder to over winter which he later described "as a sort of Esquimaux’s life; we were shut up sometimes for four or five weeks". This building remained the homestead until 1885 when the present, larger, cob homestead was built. This original cottage was then used to accommodate musterers and rabbiters. Historic themes are pastoralism, animal pests and farming.
The cottage sits on the edge of the Molesworth Road on a grassed terrace above the Molesworth Stream.
Photograph by Steve Bagley.