The Kapiti Coast Museum is housed in the old Waikanae Post Office. When the museum was established the New Zealand Post & Telegraph Department donated a significant amount of out-dated telephone and telegraph equipment including the original Waikanae Telephone Exchange (in use from 1897 to 1917) and the exchange that replaced it. These remain as valued exhibits.
Along with radio and communications equipment, including a fully operational Ham Radio “Shack”, the museum is now home to extensive displays of everyday life from the pioneering era.
The building, which opened as a post office in 1908, is now a Category 2 New Zealand Historic Places Trust Building.
The museum is open weekends and most public holidays 2pm - 4pm. Other times by prior arrangement.