This concert has been POSTPONED because of COVID restrictions.
Bay of Plenty Symphonia presents its 7th biennial Rising Stars finals concert featuring talented young musicians aged from 12 - 18 years. Five finalists from around the Bay of Plenty will perform their chosen piece accompanied by the orchestra and conducted by Justus Rozemond.
The orchestra opens the concert with Anton Bruckner’s appealing ‘Three Pieces for Orchestra’. Then the youngsters will compete for the title of Rising Star 2021:
- Grace Tak (cello): Lalo - Concerto in D minor
- Hannah Seo (recorder): Vivaldi - Concerto in G, ‘La Notte’
- Hayden Butt (clarinet): Debussy - Première Rhapsodie
- Pilgyu Chang (piano): Chopin - Concerto no 1 in E minor
- Yusuke Takahashi (double bass): Capuzzi - Concerto in D
Their performances will be judged by a panel of prestigious adjudicators: Emeritus Professor of Music, Peter Walls ONZM; Catherine Gibson, Chief Executive of Orchestras Central Trust; and Dr Rae de Lisle MNZM from the University of Auckland.
While the judges deliberate, the 2019 Bay of Plenty Symphonia Rising Stars winner, trombonist Leo Read, will perform Gaubert’s ‘Morceau Symphonique’, accompanied by the orchestra.
Winners will be announced and prizes presented to conclude the evening’s entertainment.