They were established in 1881, meeting for the first 20 years at Wadestown School (which was also established in 1881 along with St Luke’s Anglican Wadestown parish). Their original church building, built in 1901, now serves as their hall and was ‘rolled down the hill’ to its present site in the late 1920’s to make way for the current church building which was opened in 1958.
The people who belong to WPC today come from much further afield than just Wadestown. In fact just over 50% of us live in the Wadestown/Wilton area, while the rest of us live in Karori through to Johnsonville and down into the city.
People are attracted to WPC’s ‘informal traditional’ style of worship which encourages participation from the congregation (eg in leading prayers, sharing stories of faith, taking part in the ‘all ages together’ time), is ‘kids friendly’, has a mixture of hymns and songs both contemporary and traditional, uses times of silence as well as spoken responses and values preaching which has a good ‘head/heart mix’.