Selwyn Community Education is based at Selwyn College, Kohimarama, Auckland.
This course will run over four Monday evenings 7 - 9 PM starting 14 June 2021.
Tutor: Ashlee Lala.
Looking at the Neo-Classical to Post-Impressionist periods, join Ashlee Lala for an overview of French Art History. Understand the impact that the French Revolution and the Industrial Revolution had on art and society. Ashlee will discuss artists and artworks of particular significance, including David, Ingres, Géricault, Delacroix, Millet, Manet, Degas, Renoir, Monet, Seurat, Cezanne and Van Gogh.
Expected learning outcomes:
- An understanding of how art and politics can be intertwined
- An understanding of the relationship between art and context
- Knowledge of the great themes and stylistic elements of the following movements: Neo-classicism, Romanticism, Orientalism, Realism, Impressionism and Neo-Impressionism
- Knowledge of the techniques, styles and influences of the following artists: David, Géricault, Ingres, Delacroix, Millet, Manet, Monet, Seurat, Cezanne, Van Gogh, Renoir and Degas
- An appreciation for the impact these artists have had on contemporary art practice
Our mission is to provide quality affordable and accessible lifelong learning opportunities for our community.