The Paremata Barracks were built on Governor Grey's instructions in 1846. Grey had hoped to cut off supplies and reinforcements for 'rebel' Maori in the Hutt Valley by stationing soldiers at Paremata. The barracks occupy a strategic position at the mouth of the Porirua Harbour and on the coastal route to Wellington. However, by the time the building was finished in 1847 the military need for it had passed.
The use of stone in its construction brought about the premature demise of the two-storey, turreted structure. The 1848 Wellington earthquake rendered the Barracks unusable. Drawing on the lessons from this geologically active land, future barracks were less ambitiously constructed from wood.
Nowadays the lower section of the walls and the foundations are visible. To access the site, enter the Ngatitoa Domain from Pascoe Avenue. The ruins are near the Mana Cruising Club.