Join and learn New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL) course in Wellington!
NZSL is a beautiful language, and an official language of NZ. This is a NZSL beginner crash course - suitable for students with no previous experience with NZSL. Certificate of Attendance and will be issued at the end of the course*.
Days: Fridays, 6:00pm - 8:00pm
Dates: 22nd October to 26th November
Level: NZSL Beg 1a (Unit 1 - 2)
Course fee incl. handout/homework.
By the end of this 1a course, learners will:
Unit 1 - Meeting and greeting
- Exchange greetings and make introductions
- Understand simple class instructions
- Learn about the role of facial expression in NZSL
- Learn to get, and give, eyegaze before signing (requirements for visual attention)
- Learn numbers 1-10
- Learn the fingerspelling alphabet, spell their own name, and ask for repetition
Unit 2 - Our class
- Identify people in the class
- Name language(s) they are learning
- Give and follow simple instructions and action commands
- Ask for clarification, correction and confirmation
- Ask and tell where something is in the class
- Use appropriate phrases for arriving and leaving class
- Use numbers for counting (0-20) and simple time phrases in relation to class activities
Ask your employer to cover the cost of the course as professional development! Please note that registering online confirms your place in the course. If your organisation/company is paying for your course fee, please email us and provide us their Reference/Purchase Order number. If you wish to organise installment payment plan, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange payment plan and Merge NZ will book the course for you manually. Please read our cancellation policy.
Minimum number of students applies - if minimum numbers are not meet course may be postponed or cancelled.
*Certificate of Attendance are on request and with 80% attendance being meet.