Selwyn Community Education is based at Selwyn College, Kohimarama, Auckland.
This workshop will run over the weekend 27 - 28 August 2022. Saturday will run 10am - 4pm and you'll design and glue your mosaic. On Sunday 10am - 1pm, you'll learn how to grout your piece.
Learn how to create contemporary and fashionable mosaic art from broken vintage (or modern!) china, ceramic, glass, beads and trinkets. All materials are provided and you'll take home your completed artwork at the end of the weekend. All materials are provided with an emphasis on recycled and expressive art. Although we provide all materials, you are welcome to bring along some of your own broken china or jewellery if you wish to incorporate this.
Expected learning outcomes:
- Learn the direct mosaic method
- Learn about mosaic products (glue and grout) and using hand-cutting tools
- Learn how to recycle broken materials into art
- Learn the process of grouting
- Find out where to source materials and suppliers for mosaicking
What to bring:
- Your lunch on Saturday. We'll provide tea and coffee in the staffroom.
- Bring an apron to protect your clothing.
- We also recommend plastic gloves for grouting to protect your hands.
- A few old yogurt or icecream containers are handy sorting receptables for different types/colours of mosaic.
- If you have any special items you would like to include in your mosaic, feel free to bring these along too.
Who should attend?
Adults, suitable for beginners or those with a little experience of mosaic art wanting to explore a different vibe. Mosaic may also appeal to crafters or artists looking for a new form of expression, or for a group of friends looking for a fun activity to do together.
Our mission: To provide quality lifelong learning opportunities which empower individuals in their personal lives and as members of society.