Learn how to write a great short story in this workshop-style course for beginners and experienced writers alike. Some writing between sessions required.
In this eight-week course, you'll develop and build on your writing skills so you can produce short stories that others will want to read. Topics discussed include structure, characterisation, dialogue, detail, narrative perspective, and more.
Each session involves writing prompts and exercises which are further developed for workshops in class. We also read and discuss stories from established authors, and the workshops provide detailed feedback on your own work.
By the end of the course you’ll have several writing pieces underway and you'll:
- Be able to develop an idea into a story with shape and structure
- Be able to develop believable characters and effective dialogue
- Be able to use specific detail to bring veracity to a story
- Begin to produce several pieces of fiction for a portfolio
- Have gained confidence to share your work with the group and give feedback to others
Presented by Rebecca Styles