Employment lawyers are able to see things as black and white - but in HR and people management it doesn’t work like that. We can’t just give an opinion on what the legislation says. We have to think about how it applies to many and varied situations where there isn’t one right answer. Then we have to find something that works for everyone. This often involves weighing up risks and figuring our possible consequences as well as the culture of the company.
The bad news is that this means it’s not just a question of learning the law – but it’s also about learning what HR challenges each piece of legislation raises and different ways you can overcome these! The good news is that Essential Employment Law teaches you both the legislation and case law, but also how to apply it in real life.
We also promise you’ll have some fun learning. Our employment law training always receives fantastic feedback from those who attend who say that they get real value from getting answers to all their questions (however strange or unusual!) and really enjoy the whole day as well as learning lots. Our facilitators all have significant experience in employment law but also how to apply it to many and various situations - so can share how it works in real life.
If you want to know the essentials, then this is the employment law training workshop for you.
The workshop covers not just 13 pieces of legislation but also the key points around restructuring and disciplinary procedures. You’ll cover:
- The Employment Relations Act - what clauses you need, how to deal with issues around casuals, part-timers, fixed terms & contractors as well as Collective Bargaining, trial periods and flexible working.
- The Holidays Act - HR tools to deal with sick leave issues as well as provisions for annual, bereavement & public holidays.
- The Human Rights & Privacy Acts - scenario’s to look at how the legislation really applies to your recruitment & HR processes.
- The Health & Safety Act - the 2016 changes and what you need to do to comply with legislation & provide a safe workplace.
- The smaller Acts - Parental Leave, Minimum Wage, KiwiSaver, Juries Act, Wages Protection, Protected Disclosures, Criminal Record & ACC.
- Dismissals and Restructuring - does the legislation and case law say are the steps you must take & clauses to be aware of.
You’ll leave with a comprehensive (but not so long you’ll never look at it again!) workbook that covers all the key points of the law as well as HR pointers on other policies and processes that link in. We also cover recent employment law changes.
Who attends? A mixture of HR people and managers who either are new to HR or management and want to learn all the key legislation, or those wanting a refresher. If you're also in HR but new to NZ this workshop will be very valuable for you to attend.
For more visit the Elephant Group website.