Selwyn Community Education is based at Selwyn College, Kohimarama, Auckland.
This course will run over the weekend 11 - 12 September 2021 9:30 AM - 4 :30 PM daily.
Learn the process of illustrating, and developing a picture book. Explore ways in which relationships of image and text can enhance the story, and discover sequencing techniques to improve the pace, rhythm and flow of your book.
Course outline Day One:
- An overview - tricks of the trade;
- Pagination, using text and image relationships to your advantage; and
- Learn sequencing techniques, to improve your story's pace, rhythm and flow.
Course outline Day Two
Following on you will, design, illustrate and then make a mock-up picture book of your story. Learn the principles of page design, the balance of image and text and guiding the eye across the page. Continue with character development and drawing techniques that will have your characters running and leaping from the page!
The course will cover:
- techniques to make your composition more dynamic
- the principles of page layout and design
- bringing your characters to life
On completion of the course you will have completed a storyboard of thumbnails and a dummy mock-up book.
What should you bring? Bring your lunch each day. We'll provide tea and coffee in the staff room. Bring your character drawings from Character Development.
Materials to bring:
- A3 blank pad
- pencil or simple drawing tools
- cellotape, ruler, scissors
- existing artwork of your character
All available from art supplies stores. Selwyn Community Education students are offered a 10% discount at Gordon Harris, Newmarket (phone 09 520 4466).
Who should attend?
Students who attended Children's Book Illustration Character Development. If you haven't attended Character Development, Sandra will welcome you to the course if you have prepared drawings to work with.
The Children's Book Illustration Series
- Character Development - draw your character and create a 3D model
- Storyboarding and Dummy Book - learn the process of illustration and laying out a picture book
- Techniques - advanced techniques for illustrations
Our mission: To provide quality adult and life long learning opportunities which empower individuals in their personal lives and as members of society.