Any woman in Wellington is welcome to attend our regular meetings. There is a wide spectrum of experience of depression in the group—from very mild to more severe. Some people may have experienced depression in the past and come along to help manage relapses. It is a very diverse group and ranges in number from week to week—from 3 to 14 people.
It is a friendly and non-threatening environment and most newcomers find it to be very welcoming and inclusive. ThroughBlue is not affiliated with any religious organisation or church. You are welcome to participate as much as you wish in terms of talking about your experience or to sit and observe without having to say anything, depending on what suits you. There is a structure to the meetings, with a new topic each week.
To come, you must fill out the contact form online first http://www.throughblue.org.nz/p/contact-us.html. and fill in the form to apply. You will be answered by a volunteer within a week. Then, a counsellor will contact you to arrange your first meeting and let you know the address. We do this to ensure that you feel welcome looked after in your first group meeting.
The group is facilitated by professional counsellors. We ask for a donation of $10 waged and $5 unwaged per meeting to cover food and go towards some of the venue hire costs.
What is the structure of group meetings?
- 6:30pm - Meditative grounding exercise
- 6:40pm - Opening round—how was your week, a highlight, did you achieve your goal, or anything else you’d like to say
- 7:30pm - Tea break (about 10 minutes)
- 7:40pm - Educational topic
- 8:20pm - Closing round—what you found useful, something you are looking forward to this week, possibility to set a goal for the week to come.
- 8:30pm - Finish
You must fill out the contact form online before coming.