Always wanted to learn the art of raranga and weave flax? This intensive one-day workshop, suitable for both beginners and those with some experience, will teach you the basics along with the tikanga around flax weaving.
Gain an introduction to the Māori art of flax weaving in an intensive one-day workshop, suitable for beginners and those with some experience.
By the end of the workshop, you'll be able to:
- Identify commonly-used types of harakeke
- Describe how to harvest and prepare harakeke for use
- Describe the tikanga (the protocol) surrounding the use of harakeke and weaving
- Demonstrate some basic weaving techniques
- Construct and complete a small project
Materials provided but please bring your own craft knife (Stanley knife, with a wide blade), a 'bread and butter' knife and a fork. Tea and coffee provided but please bring your lunch.
Note: Courses need a minimum number to go ahead so if we don't have enough enrolments a few days before the start date, we have to cancel. We'll let you know by email so please check yours regularly. If you need to cancel your registration, here are our terms and conditions: "What You Need to Know".
Presented by Donna Head