School is in session!
Sharpen your pencils, brandish your book bags, and get ready for a rigorous academic roster - it’s the first ever Drag Class! An intensive ten week drag show & competition, aiming to ready new performers for the modern industry. Each week the ‘classmates’ will be battling it out with a series of assignments centred around a different logistical aspect of the drag art form - from costume, to lipsync, wigs, makeup, comedy and drag history. By our Drag Class Grand Finale in week ten, the graduates will have clocked the stage time, finessed the skills, and created the costumes and acts to be ready to be booked in any context. So, who will be the teacher’s pet? Who will be our class clown? And who will be our Grand Drag Class Dux? Head on down to Ivy Bar on Tuesdays at 7.30pm to find out!
But first! We need your support! This is a not-for-profit community project, we’re entirely covering expenses, including the creation of resources and support for our dragsters, with ticket sales and our Pledge Me campaign. Keen to help? Here’s how!
- Get your ‘season pass’ tickets to the show through Pledge Me! We’re selling our season pass VIP tickets (front row seats to all ten shows including the finale) for just $200 - twenny bucks a pop, bloody bargain. If you’re just after a General Admission pass to all shows, those work out to just ten bucks a show - cheap as chips. Buying in advance on eventfinder, gives our organisational team the security to get this wonderful thing done, without Hugo biting off all his nails wondering whether he can pay rent.
- Support our Pledge Me in general! Even if you’re not able to come, your pocket change goes a long way to making Drag Class sustainable. Donate whatever you can with the $5 and up ‘choose your own amount’ tiers on Pledge Me - this is a great way to support if you’re not able to make any of the shows.
- Donate a prize! We are creating ten dope prize packages for the Top Student each week, and we’d love to fill them with useful stuff for new dragsters. Know someone who might be able to help? Got stuff you could donate? Email us at email@example.com with ‘Drag Class Prize’ in the subject line.
- Corporate sponsorship! Got a mean hook up with a company looking to support meaningful local endeavors? We’d be very keen to get in touch with you. We’ll put your name on everything! Hugo will get it tattooed! He’ll host every show wearing a sandwich board singing your praises! Get in touch.
- Share this PledgeMe and the Facebook event! If you’ve got no dosh, we understand. (Hey - us neither!) We’d love a signal boost. Please holler of this event in every corner of the internet, we’d be greatly appreciative.
Thank you, a thousand times thank you, you beautiful humans. Let’s make this wonderful gig happen.
Eat your vegetables, fuck the patriarchy, tell your friends you love them. Let’s do this!
Some more information about drag class!
Our Class of 2020 is!
Vixie & James Bondage
And hosted by local gender-mess Hugo Grrrl.
For more information on the ten-week lesson plan and competition, check our our facebook event.
Concept credit for Drag Class goes completely to the amazing Sabel Sities of Austin TX, our thanks goes out to her for her generosity in allowing us to replicate the program here.
Please note! Seating is not allocated unless a VIP ticket is purchased so make sure to arrive early to nab a good vantage point. Doors open one hour before showtime, latecomers may not be admitted, and door sales are cash only. The event space is located down stairs but please get in touch before the gig if you have any accessibility concerns so we can best help you out.
Make sure to follow the Hugo Grrrl page for updates on more dope, affordable gigs near you.
Find more Hugo Grrrl events here: https://bit.ly/2N8erzQ
And buy Hugo merch here: https://rdbl.co/2U8AmKL
Design by Pip Clark.
© Hugo Grrrl 2020