The Akaroa Lighthouse is one of the few remaining examples of early wooden lighthouses in New Zealand. The original Akaroa lighthouse started operation on Akaroa Heads in 1880 guided ships to and from the harbour for over one hundred years before it was moved to Akaroa township, after being replaced in 1977 by an automated light.
The lighthouse was reassembled and restored by the Akaroa Lighthouse Prevention Society and was completed on 4 October, 1980.
The foundations are all that remain of the lighthouse keeper’s family homes, but the original stonework of the supply road down to Haylocks Bay remains along the cliff face, including an original stone culvert at the junction of the road and the small stream.
The Akaroa Lighthouse is one of the few remaining examples of early wooden lighthouses in New Zealand. It is a six-sided Victorian lighthouse with four levels.
The lighthouse is opened for viewings during the Christmas holidays and on Sunday afternoons (1pm-4pm).