Penguin lovers set the date for a full penguin day.
As part of the Pop-Up Penguins trail and for Penguin awareness day, we are very happy to be running a special event with Katrina Perano, the fantastic artist behind “One fish”
Get ready for a special day with penguins, penguins and more penguins!
Make your way to Akaroa and check all of the penguin statues that you can find on your journey, they’re hiding everywhere but Hallswell library has some to start your penguin day out, then Little River and finally 3 more in Akaroa.
Learn to draw a penguin with Katrina Perano the fantastic artist behind “One fish” the statue of Akaroa and learn about her vision and explore the street of Akaroa to find the perfect spot to express your artistic skills and draw your own penguin.
Applying the “Leave no trace” approach, art will be made with chalks and we will take a photo of your artwork with a polaroid camera that you can take home with you.
Then join an informative talk to hear about 2 of our special penguin species: the Yellow-eyed and the Little penguins and understand their threats and what we can do to help them out.
- 20th of January
- 2 to 3pm: Get creative
- 4 to 5.30pm: Find out more
- 7 to 10pm: Evening penguin tour
- Meet the artist behind “One fish”
- Learn to and draw penguins around Akaroa with chalk and come home with a polaroid of your artworks (1 hour)
- Learn about penguins and research happening in New Zealand. (1.5 hours)
- Discounted Evening penguin tour (50% off on our normal tour)
- Meeting at Pohatu penguins booking office (gathering and introduction)
- Akaroa streets (arts)
- Akaroa Boat shed (talk and Q&As)
- Pohatu bay: Evening penguin tour