Paihia was one of New Zealand's earliest European settlements - Anglican missionaries founded their third mission station at Paihia in 1823. The principal missionary was Reverend Henry Williams. A few material traces of the mission still exist including a humble stone shed situated in the garden of the Williams' house, built by Canon Percy Temple Williams, grandson of Henry Williams. Garden tools and other relics displayed in the shed were left by the Williams family.
The extensive grounds are also of historic interest as they contain plantings dating from Henry Williams’ time, including a huge totara and several large English oaks. A stream runs through the grounds, originally supplying water to the house; an artificial lake has since been formed from the stream. Additional plantings by the Poore family include an American oak and a beech tree. More recent plantings of olive trees and buxus hedges reflect more modern trends. Other features on the property include a modern four-car garage and a tennis court.