St John is a charitable organisation with a volunteer ethos. It operates independently of Government and business, and serves New Zealand communities.
St John serves communities throughout New Zealand by delivering an extensive range of services and products in the health and health-related fields. These services and products include:
- Emergency and non-emergency ambulance services for approximately 90% of New Zealand's population;
- Emergency care and first aid at public events;
- Friendship and support over the phone to the lonely and the housebound;
- Transport for people to their health appointments;
- First aid training and health-related products and services to the community;
- St John also runs a youth programme where young New Zealanders from six to 18 years can learn first aid, health care, self-discipline and general life skills in their communities.