The Open Stage was built in 1958 as a school hall for what was then Christchurch West High School. In 1989 the Company began and the hall became a base for the new course of study. In 1998 a major refurbishment took place that transformed the space into a black box theatre with an open floor stage format, hence it's name The Open Stage.
Further work was undertaken by Hagley College in 2004 that included sealing off the old stage area for a studio space, exterior remodeling and earthquake strengthening.
Today The Open Stage serves as the main teaching and performance space for Hagley Theatre Company, StageOne and Hagley Dance Company. The intimate space has audience seating for 100 people, lighting and sound equipment, wheelchair access and kitchen facilities. Free parking is provided onsite.