St Hilda’s is an integrated school of 400 students, with approximately one-third of the school being boarding students from the Otago and Southland regions.
Founded in 1896, St Hilda’s has a proud tradition and reputation as a school which promotes Christian values, educational excellence and high levels of achievement in all fields of endeavour. It was originally a private school established by Anglican sisters and today the school proudly retains its close links with the Anglican Church. We value the special character this provides and although supportive of Anglican theology, we welcome students from any background who are in sympathy with Christian values and ethics.
In 1979 St Hilda’s became integrated into the State Education System which means that the buildings, land and assets are independently owned, and the funding for teachers’ salaries and the school’s operational costs are met by the Ministry of Education.
The governance of the school is the responsibility of the Board of Trustees, made up of elected parent representatives, Board of Proprietors’ appointees, the Principal, a staff representative and a student representative.
St Hilda’s strives to provide all students with a secure and supportive environment where they are encouraged to grasp the opportunities and challenges available to them. Students are expected to work hard and challenge themselves to optimise their personal growth.
There are two years at which most students enter St Hilda’s – Year 7 or Year 9. Most boarders begin in Year 9 although there are occasionally places available at other levels for both boarders and day girls.