Land was purchased in 1920 by the then Greytown Borough Council with money raised by the community. It was landscaped to a plan commissioned from Alfred Buxton, the leading landscape gardener of the time.
O'Connor's bush, 8ha, is one of the last remnants of lowland forest in Wairarapa. The big trees are totara, matai, titoki, and kanuka.
The sports field, croquet green, tennis courts, children's playground and camping ground were added largely by community working bees and helped by grants from the Greytown District Trust Lands Trust, Borough Council, service clubs, and Automobile Association.
In 1922 117 lime trees were planed to commemorate the 117 soldiers from the community who died in World War One.