The home of the James Wallace Arts Trust and some of its Collection.
The house, originally named Moose Lodge was built between 1913 and 1915 in the Arts and Crafts Style for a Canadian Dental Surgeon, Dr Frederick J Rayner and his wife. The architect was James Lloyd. Dr Rayner held major financial interests in Piha Kauri Forests, the property also named Moose Lodge on the shore of Lake Rotoiti and other ventures.
On his death in 1933, ownership of the house passed to Sir Carrick Robertson and the house was renamed Rannoch after the village in Scotland the Robertsons came from. A branch of James Wallace’s family was associated with Rannoch as well.
The site includes an acre of remnant Mt Eden lava forest which is the home to some one hundred and twelve sculptures and growing. (See sculpture forest information below). The building is a four storey “Arts & Crafts” house. Walls of the upper storey are shingle-clad and the lower walls are very thick finely fitted basalt.
The main entry opens into a 65 m2 double height hall, lit during daylight by five large oriel windows at the upper level. This area, together with the adjoining library and drawing room have outstanding acoustics and provide an excellent concert forum. The basement and upper floor have been modified to form galleries and an entrance gallery has been added so that the whole house functions as a living museum of modern New Zealand art.
Rannoch Sculpture Forest
Within Rannoch Sculpture Forest and around the house resides a rich and diverse array of contemporary New Zealand sculpture, many pieces of which were commissioned by the James Wallace Arts Trust. The ancient Mt Eden lava forest is alive with giants, creatures, architectural obscurities and all manner of curious forms amounting to over a hundred sculptures from New Zealand’s leading artists.