There are three venues available for public rental within the building. The Town Hall has seating capacity of 606 and is suitable for dances, conferences, displays, weddings and stage shows etc. The Frank Cody Lounge named after a former mayor of Masterton is used for a variety of functions. A large kitchen and preparation room is available to hirers. A smaller room situated on the first floor with kitchen facilities is available for small functions.
The foundation stone was laid by the Mayoress Mrs J Coradine on June 3rd 1915. The building was damaged in an earthquake in 1947 and extensive reconstruction was carried out at that time. On 7th June 1986 the building was refurbished and extended and was opened by his Excellency The Governor General, Sir Paul Reeves.
The building houses all divisions of the Council with approx 65 personnel. The head-quarters of the Civil Defence is situated on the ground floor.