Lyall Bay School opened as Maranui School on 1 February 1909, with a first day intake of 178 pupils. The two main teaching blocks date from this time.
The roll peaked in 1926 with 844 pupils.
Following a gradual decline in numbers over the next 60 years, the roll reached an all-time low point of only 216 back at the start of the 1989 school year. However, since the advent of Tomorrow’s Schools, the roll again flourished. After rapid growth in the 90’s the roll has now stabilised and the school caters for between 350 and 400 children. This makes Lyall Bay one of the largest contributing schools in Wellington.
Since 1990 more than $600,000 has been invested into major ongoing playground re-development. Once a “concrete jungle”, children now play on both grassed areas and all-weather playgrounds, including two netball courts, an astro-turf space and a range of other recreational zones. Your Board of Trustees continues to strive hard to provide modern, safe playground equipment. Play-structures include a junior platform with various events attached, and more senior pursuit type course adjacent to the Dental Clinic. All equipment has been safety standards approved and compliant safety matting is installed under fall areas. Other recent projects include the provision of "shade sails", new fences, and a covered walkway between the two main buildings.
The school also has a heated swimming pool with changing rooms, but no toilets attached as yet. Further development is planned for this valuable facility in the future.
The Junior School, Senior School and main administration areas have ramps and some facilities for the disabled.