In 1844 a brick schoolhouse was built for the Church of England elementary school in Nelson. It was later briefly used as a public school, then from 1860 to 1895 it was again an Anglican Church school for boys and became known as Bishop's School. In 1881 a new wooden schoolhouse was built, with one brick wall from the original building, later used as a library and meeting room, private primary school, and scout and guide room.
Restored by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust in 1975 the school contains articles from Victorian days. A highlight is a recreated Victorian schoolroom where groups can receive a Victorian school lesson through Nelson Provincial Museum Education Service. Interpretative panels describe the history of the building and teaching methods of the time.