Auckland Town Hall was opened in 1911 and underwent a $33 million restoration in 1997. The original architects were JJ & E Clarke who won a competition to tender designs and drawings for a Town Hall to suit the particular site.
The restoration has maintained the original Edwardian Baroque design, while the acoustics are noted as being some of the best in the world.
The original Proscenium Arch of the Concert Chamber was only rediscovered during restoration, as were the beautiful oval stained-glass windows. These had been removed and the windows covered over years ago. The stained-glass windows were found intact in the basement storage and returned to their rightful positions.
The ornate plasterwork in the Great Hall was restored by a local Auckland specialist and was been repainted in original Edwardian colours of cream and white. The roof is 17 metres high (approximately 60 feet) and the auditorium seats 1,673 people.
Subject to availability, the Town Hall is also able to be booked for gala dinners, ceremonies and corporate and private events.
The Auckland Town Hall is a Regional Facilities Auckland (RFA) venue.