A 12-bunk serviced alpine hut at 1680m, overlooking the Franz Josef Glacier ice fall.
A sturdy iron clad mountain hut. Mountaineering, trekking and ski touring. Normal alpine safety rules apply. The hut is buried in snow in winter.
This is the third structure to be known by this name. The building was prefabricated and air-dropped onto the site at the north side of Franz Josef Glacier in 1950. It was upgraded in 1992, and during subsequent staff visits. A new toilet was installed in 1995.
Historic themes are tourism and recreation.
Photograph by Dave Waters.