The Wainuiomata Coast Road Church is not only the third oldest Church in the Wellington Region, but the oldest of the original Methodist Churches in the region. It has a Category II listing with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust, one of only two listed buildings in Wainuiomata.
Built by the pioneers in 1866 as a Wesleyan Church (Methodist), it was used for regular services until the Congregation outgrew it and moved to the new St Stephens Church in 1957. Since then, although the Congregation held at least one service per year in the old building, it had laid unused as a Church. However during this time it had been occupied as a club rooms for the now defunct Wainuiomata Arts Society from 1972 until 2009.